The 2016-2017 leaf collection season will begin on October 31. The County collects and recycles your leaves through vacuum trucks, biodegradable bags and in your green organics cart. Please be sure to drive safety around County vehicles. Stay aware as there may be crews servicing the immediate vicinity around parked County vehicles, as well.
Vacuum Collection Schedule
Check our online vacuum schedule to determine when the leaf vacuum will be in your neighborhood.
- Crews will complete two passes through each neighborhood between November and December, Monday-Saturday, except Thanksgiving Day.
- Bright yellow and orange leaf collection signs will be posted in your neighborhood two to three days before crews arrive.
- Plan accordingly to have leaves raked to the curb before scheduled pick-up. If the vacuum collection schedule doesn’t meet your needs, or if you missed the first vacuum pass, residents have the option to bag their leaves for the weekly bag collection, wait for the second vacuum pass or place the leaves in their green organic yard waste cart.
- If you miss your collection date, leaves should be recycled in biodegradable leaf bags. Dates are subject to change due to weather and other events.
- Call 703-228-6565 for recorded schedule by civic association.
Leaf Bag Collection
Place leaves in biodegradable bags only. Don’t use plastic bags. Leaf bags are now collected year-round on the same day as your regular trash collection day.
Where to Find Leaf Bags
Biodegradable paper leaf bags are available at most hardware stores. Please use any bags left over from spring yard waste collection. Free bags are also available beginning October 24 at these locations while supplies last.
Year-Round Yard Waste Collection
Arlington County provides weekly, curbside collection of yard waste to single-family homes, duplexes and some townhomes in Arlington. Yard waste collection will occur each week on your regular scheduled trash collection day. More details can be found in our brochure.
Interactive Leaf Collection Progress Map
Be sure to follow the leaf vacuum’s progress on our interactive map.
Share Your Colors
Days are getting shorter and the leaves are showing their colors. Share your photo of Arlington’s changing tree canopy or leaf pile with us for a chance to be featured as our Facebook cover photo. Photos can be posted on Facebook or sent to @ArlingtonDES on Twitter.
For more information, visit www.arlingtonva.us and search “Leaf Collection.”